Monday, December 27, 2010

Eagle

My hand petting the eagle

He was mad about the scallop; he wanted ham

I was no threat to his food

I had a really awesome experience today.  There will be pictures added to this blog tomorrow night when I can download them from my camera.  While talking to a leader in the village, she told me her husband, the chief was rehabilitating an eagle on their enclosed front porch.  She reported that he does this at least one time per year.  I asked to see the eagle, she agreed and after a stop for SOBE at the Variety Store, we went to her house.

We opened the door to the porch to a great big eagle sitting loose on the freezer.  The chief was coaxing the eagle to eat scallops.  The eagle was turning his head and shaking it no.  It was clear he wanted to be left to the desserts under the towel, under him on the freezer.  I watched as the chief placed his hands on the eagle's sides, from behind, lifted him and calmed him with his voice.  He placed the eagle around two feet from me on a generator.  The eagle refused the scallops but eagerly accepted ham, of all things.  Now, I know this woman cooks a mean, fall of the bone ham, so perhaps this was an eagle with good taste.

We were all in awe of this eagle and then suddenly he turned his head, locked his eyes on me and gave me eagle eyes.  I made a smooth Michael Jackson moon walk move right behind the open porch door.  I did not think that look could mean anything good.  However, he relaxed and allowed me to walk up to him and actually pet his back.  I stroked and stroked his feathers.  Yes, there will be a picture of this added when I can download tomorrow night from my camera.

Then, I stood right in front of him while they took a picture of us.  My face was maybe two feet from his.  It was an incredible, spiritual, unique experience.  I posed with this eagle, watched him eat and petted him.  Now, this experience, with a few bush plane rides makes for an interesting day's work.

Tonight, with my boss as co-therapist, we worked to help a mother and son heal.  This session was so touching that Jim and I had to discuss it, go over it, re-live it.  I love when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment