Saturday, September 25, 2010

Things worth a mention

This blog is a place to keep you up on Alaskan adventures and teachings.  However, it is not a place where I am sharing the deeply spiritual transformation, the struggles and richer journey I am on.  That will be done in chapters, on my computer, in conversations with trusted confidantes and perhaps someday in the chapters of a book.  Today, however, I know that some of my friends would like to know a bit more about what this experience truly means to me.  I won't be able to catch everyone up because I have to fly out early tomorrow to "no cell phone" territory so here goes.

The shorthand version for me is that I get to do my work here combining both Western Therapeutic Practice and Native Traditional Healing.  I get to feed my soul on the tremendous banquet of creative enterprises here.  Artisitc expression is celebrated and knowing and rich conversation sought after.  The acceptance of hippie behavior, spiritual knowing, flannel shirts, any hair, clothes, dancing and singing makes this truly cosmichamlet.net. 

When focused on survival, food, protection from the elements and larger four leggeds, with traffic low and noise pollution down, I find I can hear my own thoughts.  I don't feel so rushed.  I don't see my focus being set on "being successful" in the dominant-culture way, but more so on being real, authentic in a way that gains me acceptance into three new communities.  A Native colleague told me yesterday that we know if we're in the right place if the locals open their arms to us.  She told me that she has seen arms opening to me everywhere we've been and she sees me held in the community's embrace.  What a gift.

It is a matter of perception, spiritual acknowledgement where one town feels like home to someone and another does not.  There's lots I love about here and lots I love about Salem, Oregon and lots I love about St. Ignace and lower Michigan.  In Salem, I love the mountains, oceans, atmosphere, first Friday's downtown, the friends I have made there who have truly given me the benefit of the doubt, who keep a bag of licorice at the ready, the restaurants, easy shopping, the alternative movie theatre, rare soul connections, freedom to be a hippie, Country Fair (right on), baking bread with a friend, group meals, friends made with whom we can finally just stop by and announce a need for something and have it met, four leggeds I adore, acceptance of diversity, the stab at creating family, the music scene there and in Portland and stories of world travel.  However, I would do Salem differently after this experience.  I got caught up in defining my worth in a materialist way.  My worth is not reflected in where I studied, where I live and how much money I have.  I like the way I grew up in St. Ignace where I experienced people being valued for what they have in their heart.  It's my own responsibility to remember who I am, where I come from and what makes me happy.

I love St. Ignace, Michigan.  There are so many places there that feel right.  I like Dan's reminder that Surf and Turf in St. Ignace means Perch and Venison.  I like that growing up chopping wood, staying out of the ditch in the winter, knowing about great outdoor wear, fishing, (for some hunting), swimming, visiting, truly visiting, eating homemade pies made by aunties and great aunties who were so happy to have us come by, savoring a meal together, wrestling through the two seasons of mud and snow have all prepared me to be very successful in Alaska.  I love that my first friend, with whom I romped in diapers, is still able to read my heart and support me so far away.

I love spending time in lower Michigan with people, whom through years of supporting me and loving me, have become family.  I love the peach season and driving from farm stand to farm stand in search of squash, blueberries, apples, cherries and ending up sitting looking out over Lake Michigan in wonder.  I love having the keys to so many loved one's homes with the invite to just stop by, even if they're not home to use the facilities. 

The Course in Miracles teaches that we are home wherever we are because our own body is our home.  So, I perceive myself as being home even when the loneliness sets in for my loved ones.  I am never alone.  I am finding out a great many things about being welcomed into so many houses and communities from here to St. Ignace, Michigan and just how rich that makes me.  It's not about being able to talk to just about anyone, I believe, it's about being able to listen to just about anyone.  And frankly, this is the first time I've listened to myself in years.   What a journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment