Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I'm in a New York State of Mind

Okay.  In my past life, like a few months ago, if I traveled for work, I took a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel and then back again.  The hotel was nice, the pool inviting and the amenties many.  Yesterday morning I was humming I'm in a New York State of Mind. 

I realized I was humming this after this series of events.  First, I was given the Council van on Monday night to drive myself up to the Mush Center, the place that houses visitors.  Almost every single idiot light was lit in the van from door ajar to check engine.  I rattled up the dirt road full of potholes waving at everyone who passed.  They initiate waving when they see the Council van.  Friendly, I like it.  Except if I look to wave I hit a pothole and send the entire vehicle into a rattle, bouncing state.

I arrived in the outback to find that my door key did not work so I drove back down the pothole roads until I saw a person.  They directed me to the right person's house who followed me back to my place on a four runner.   Once in my room, though it's very nice it has not been cleaned and I draw the line at stranger sheets and towels.  I find the clorox bleach cleaning stuff and scrub everything, I mean everything, find clean sheets and towels and then settle in to watch a DVD.  Jennifer calls me and I have contact with a buddy.

So, this morning, when I had the bagged up sheets and towels in my hand carrying them to the van, I find myself singing I'm in  New York State of Mind.  And the weird news, I would not trade this.  It is real, I feel real and I am reminded minute by minute that I am no more important than anyone else around here.  We talk about being a Child of the Creator, first and foremost, no more or no less important that the stars in the skies, the trees or each other. 

I spent the afternoon at an Elder's house who discussed the old ways and she first met her husband.  He was in the Army, they met in Anchorage and she loved him the minute she saw him.  They have been married 52 years.  He is from Iowa where they lived for only 11 years of their marriage.  He owned the variety store that he sold to his daughter here in the village.  I shopped there last night for dinner since I was fog weathered in. 

I spent my evening last night watching Russian animated cartoons with Nikolai.  He laughted heartily and explained the cartoons to me.  He is our IT guy and he's spending the week in the villages fixing computer issues.  He shared Russian Salad with me and told me how our countries differ.  One phrase of his stood out for me while he was telling me the pros and cons of something.  He said, "And the but side to it is..."  I think I'll write about Russian and the United States in my next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment