Monday, January 24, 2011

Popcorn

Okay, I like popcorn, plain, buttered, full of hot sauce, I however, do not want to be the popcorn.  I was the popcorn this morning on the bush plane flight in.  Plane popcorn, versus, plain popcorn.  Sort of funny, that.

My buddy, school counselor, sat next to me and burst into tears as we dove and twisted.  I sat calmly next to her rubbing her back as she leaned forward to hug the seat in front of her.  Two weeks ago she was in a near collision with another bush plane up over Saldovia.  Her year or two of scary flights, her near miss and her very angry pilot after that near miss, took its toll this morning.  I thought she was really brave to get back in the plane and to keep going.

The ice is profoundly intense here today and we're all walking carefully.  It's been more difficult for people to be happy in that winter is dragging on, gray skies, rain, snow, ice, wind...I'm finding out about the depression in the villages and in Alaska during the winter months.  I, however, discovered the Guitar Hero that has been in my closet.  This past weekend I started strumming as a beginner and with Leigh's encouragement, tried easy.  I think it is so much fun.  As I study for this exam I allow myself two songs for every chunk of study time.  I think I'm still a external reward based person.  Oh, that would be Behavioral Theory.  See, Guitar Hero is helping me study.

Off to the business of being the therapist, a role.

No comments:

Post a Comment