Thursday, October 21, 2010

Planes and Moose and Bears, Oh My

The piles of moose scat are multiplying in my yard and still no moose sighting on my part.  They say my sighting will happen at either dawn or dusk.  I've been watching whenever I am home.  My adventure coworker told me that he was camping the other night, on an island, and heard a wild screeching noise.  He peered out cautiously just in case there was a moose in his camp.  He said he didn't want to rile a moose and become hoof jam.  He makes me laugh so hard.

People are somewhat afraid of the bears here but have a reverence for the moose.  The moose has that kicking straight out in front of it talent.  They have an anger problem and seem to lack a consistent sense of humor.  They are just plain ornery.  They make no excuse for it.  They stand their ground and take up all the space they want.  There is a trail just before the edge of my bluff so I know they are filing through here.  Someday, the great moose spotting will happen.

For now, I was sitting at the edge of my bluff this afternoon with my colleague who is moving to town.  I was showing her my place and we were enjoying sitting on the bench at the edge of the bluff.  Right in front of us, nearly close enough to touch, an eagle soared by.  We just watched it with wonder.  I was told that 2000 eagles hit my town in January.  What an experience that will be. 

I have found the jean store with its fine socks, gloves, shoes and pricey clothes.  Fat Olives for pizza with friends.  Tuesday night at Alice's for beer and burger for $10.00.  I skip the beer part.  I know that we go to the dump here and we have the option of containers out on the spit.  Gas is $3.74 per gallon, ouch.  Studded tires cost nearly $700 here and I am grateful that mine are on my car as of today.  Nomads come here from all over starting a new life, trying on the culture and different life.  Two Sister's Bakery is still amazing.  Bishop Beach is pretty.  Finn's is closed for the winter, depriving the town folk of fabulous blue cheese/pear  pizza.  The Burning Basket ceremony has passed.  People like to play wii in the winter.  Woodstoves are popular and everyone asks me if I have running water. 

There are 30 bear loose in town, stopping at restaurant garbage cans.  One had to be put down, 500 pounds of charging bear, just this past Thursday.  We're reminded to be careful because there are so many bears left wandering the streets eating from outside the restaurants.  I am prepared for winter, tires and all, I'm watching for bears, I'm watching for moose and I'm keeping a sense of humor about scary flights.  Remote has a whole different meaning here; it is not something held in one's hand to change television stations.  It is the word that explains why we carry waterproof matches in our packs.

I am happy here outside in this element.  I am happy looking out at the mountains across the bay.  Living on the edge used to mean just saying what I thought.  This is different and familiar at the same time.  At least I am clear on the dangers here, not always so clear for me in the city.   I am also clear on how to take care of myself in this environment.   This winter, I'll be studying survival skills in the woods, seems I never quite mastered them in urban life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment