Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Pheasants and Beautiful Scenes

Pheasant through glass, not under glass, my kitchen window.  Found the big bird in my kitchen staring at me, not even injured.

Couch in front of window.  We've been cleaning up glass for days.  I am so glad nobody was sitting on this couch.  Glass shards and possible impaling by pheasant.


Just saying hello to ya'll from Alaska.  Usually wearing a coat it seems.

Right off the bluff in front of our cabin.  We think the pheasant that went through the window was being chased by one of these eagles.

Eagle at attention as I walk by to see another.


I walk up on eagles in my trees, sit by eagles, pet eagles and stand by eagles.  How glorious.


A few months ago at Bishop's Beach.  There is much more sand showing now.

No matter what is going on around us there is always something of beauty on which to focus.  Sometimes we find ourselves in a room full of people so different from ourselves.  There is strength in numbers so if we are different than the group we are with it doesn't mean we are less than.  We are just different.  I once sat in a classroom of all African Americans in a Black Literature class just to feel what  it was like to be the minority in the classroom.  I loved the class, the teachings and yet I felt very uncomfortable each time I entered the room.  I talked, looked and experienced life differently than the majority of foks I was sitting among.  I was young and did not have the courage to inquire into their experiences; I was there for the love of literature and to feel, to experience what it must be like to stand out in a room as the one who was very different.  I have carried that teaching with me forever and it has provided me with a better degree of compassion.

In the movie the Green Mile, the Healer, falsely accused and living on death row, just before being executed states that he can feel the hatred toward him in the room of watchers.  He said it felt like a hundred bee stings.  The guard told him to just feel what the guards felt toward him because they had respect and love for him.  That was a powerful moment for me in the movie, a reminder that all sorts of people can be around us, judging us, determining our worth from their position of superiority and yet if we just center on, focus on the love of the people who see our hearts, we will be okay.  Focus on the Creator, focus on good, focus on loved ones...they might not be right in the room with us, however, they are there in spirit.  My prayer?  I hope that I am a someone that brings peace, a feeling of safety, a good thought, a smile, when someone I love is feeling down, or maybe just not supported or is in a rough situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment